"Sketch everything and keep your curiosity fresh."

John Singer Sargent


Friday, May 21, 2010

Evelyn's Monkeys



















14 x 11 Oil


During a day of painting at the Bonnet House, I encountered a troop of monkeys high in the Seagrape trees and they truly put on a show! I took many pictures and used one as a reference photo for this studio painting. I think the two monkeys are mother and baby.

Painting the monkeys with their unusual facial features was a challenge for me, but I found the overlapping, backlit Seagrape leaves an exciting exercise. The painting was not completely finished when photographed. It was accepted in the Views of the Bonnet House exhibition, January 16 - February 28, 2010.

1 comment:

  1. ... and it's a beauty in person, Ellen! Great light coming through the leaves and tender expressions on the monkeys faces. It is always a treat to see the monkeys at BH!

    ReplyDelete